Churchill village with a population of approximately five hundred residents and is located in West Oxfordshire. There are a number of round barrows and other signs of early occupation nearby. Churchill Old Church was built in the 14th century on the site of earlier churches going back to Saxon times.
Churchill was originally at the foot of a hill (now known as Hastings Hill), but on 31 July 1684 a fire destroyed twenty houses and many other buildings, and killed four people. The village was rebuilt higher up the hill, with stone houses instead of the old timber-framed and thatched cottages.
Churchill was the birthplace of Warren Hastings, the first Governor General of India, and William Smith, the 'Father of British Geology'.
The Chancel of the old church now holds the Centre. The Old Church is the last medieval building in Churchill. It stands in a particularly attractive graveyard with fine views across the Evenlode valley.
The Centre received a £50,000 lottery grant, aided by West Oxfordshire County Council.