West Oxfordshire Parishes

List of Parishes in West Oxfordshire

Parish Meetings Highlighted
Alvescot
The Church of England parish church of Saint Peter dates from the 13th century. The Perpendicular Gothic bell tower has a peal of six bells. Alvescot used to have a Baptist congregation. Its former chapel is now a private house. The Methodist chapel was demolished in the 1990s. 'The Plough' is the public house. The railway station was closed by Dr Beeching in 1962. Alvescot has a population of about 450.
Ascott Under Wychwood
Ascott Under Wychwood is one of several villages named after the ancient Wychwood forest. Remains of an iron age hill fort and a long barrow lie 2m. to the north. AUW also has the remains of a bailey castle upon which a 16th century manor house has been built.
The Holy Trinity Church was built between 1200 and 1400 and the tower contains 6 bells. AUW's community shop was opened in 2003.
Asthall
Asthall village is famous as the home of the Mitford sisters, who lived in the manor house from 1916-1926.
The image to the right is of St. Nicholas Parish Church. The village has a population of ~262. The village lies at the junction of old Roman highways (The Fosse and Watling Street) on the ancient Akeman Street Roman Road. Just under a mile south of the village is the remains of a 7th century Saxon barrow.
Aston, Cote, Shifford and Chimney
These four hamlets have a collective population of about 1400 and used to be a part of Bampton (below). Aston is well-known locally for its pottery and ceramics shop. Shifford Lock (1898) is a picturesque Thames cut accessible from Chimney by foot. There are several churches in the parish (St. James pictured). Chimney Meadows is a rich nature reserve where wildflowers, insects and birds are protected.
Bampton
Bampton is used as the location for Downton Village in the TV series 'Downton Abbey'. Bampton used to be one of the largest parishes in Oxfordshire, but in the 19th century was split into the five smaller parishes. The St. Mary the Virgin parish church is 12th century with a 13th century spire. In the 14th century Bampton Castle was built by the Earl of Pembroke, but demolished in the 18th century.
Black Bourton
Black Bourton is the birthplace of novelist & children's writer Maria Edgeworth in 1767 & the painter William Turner (a less well known contemporary of JMW Turner) in 1789. The Church of St. Mary The Virgin has an arcade that survives from 1190ad. A manor house & railway station no longer survive, but the village school from 1865 & 'The Vines' pub are still active. There are war graves in the churchyard. Pop. ~280.
Bladon
Most famous as the last resting place of Winston Churchill, Bladon was first noted in 1086, but there is archaeological evidence of much earlier occupation in the area. There is an Iron Age settlement known as Round Castle located at Bladon Heath and a Roman villa and farms in the immediate vicinity dating between the 1st and 4th centuries.
Blenheim (Parish Meeting)
Blenheim parish is situated about 8 miles north-east of Oxford and shares its border with Woodstock to its east. Originally, it was Woodstock Park, which had a palace and manor house, and later Blenheim park in 1860. This has been added to and now extends to Bladon to the south and includes much of the Blenheim Palace estate.
Brize Norton
Brize Norton dates back to the Domesday Book, but is now more famous for the nearby military airbase. The village has an Anglican church and a Methodist Chapel, two public houses (Chequers & Mason's arms). Brize had a railway station that was shared with Bampton and closed in 1962. The Post Office now runs twice weekly from the cricket pavilion. There is also an annual cricket festival & horticultural show.
Broadwell (Parish Meeting)
The Norman Parish Church of St. Peter and Paul dominates the village which also has a pub called "The Five Bells". At Bradwell Grove, in woodland north of Broadwell village, a Gothick-style mansion house built in 1804 by William Hervey which in 1970 became the centre of the Cotswold Wildlife Park. There was also a WWll RAF airfield (RAF Broadwell) which no longer exists 2 miles north of the village.
Bruern (Parish Meeting)
With a population of ~70, Bruern is a tiny, yet tranquil, hamlet dominated by the baroque mansion house built by the Cope family in the early eighteenth century. Prior to this, the site was occupied by a Cistercian abbey. Old fish ponds and a vaulted chamber incorporated into a newer cottage (built on the site) are thought to be features of the old abbey that still exist today. Shipton is the nearest railway station.
Cassington
Cassington parish lies on the north bank of the river Thames where it joins the Evenlode. It is in the 1086 Domesday book as Cersetone. William the Bastard's half-brother Odo ruled over the Cassington manor which became Pontefract Manor. This later became Godstow Abbey in the 12th century until the dissolution. There used to be a canal and a railway station, but both have disappeared. It has a population of about 800.
Chadlington
Chadlington village (population ~900) is the birthplace of the 19th century politician and Assyrian expert Sir Henry Rawlinson. The village was more recently in the spotlight as the burial place of David and Samantha Cameron's son Ivan in 2009. Chadlington was most likely named after St. Chad and is mentioned in the Domesday book. The church of St. Nicholas is originally Norman and there is one pub, The Tite Inn.
Chastleton (Parish Meeting)
Chastleton parish lies about 4 miles north-east of Stow-on-the-Wold and has a population of about 140. It has an iron age hill fort south-east of the village, but is most famous for Chastleton House, a Jacobean manor house and gardens owned by the National Trust and open to the public since 1997. It is said that the game of croquet was developed here. The TV chef and food critic, Pru Leith, also has a house nearby.
Chilson (Parish Meeting)
Chilson, located in the Evenlode valley, lies about 5 miles south of Chipping Norton. The hamlet has a population of under 100.
Less than two miles away is the tinier hamlet of Shorthampton whose size has dwindled to a couple of farmhouses and the quaint "All Saints" Norman church. This building contains mediaeval murals, one of which is a rare 'Miracle of the Clay Birds' painting.
Churchill & Sarsden
The village of Churchill contains neolithic barrows and burial remains although the village was relocated in the late 17th cent. after a fire destroyed it. The Saxon church has disappeared except for a stone gateway and the chancel which is now the Churchill Heritage Centre. Famous Churchillians are Warren Hastings (b.1772), first governor general of British India and William Smith (b.1769), the father of English geology.
Clanfield
Clanfield has a population of about 900, is two miles from Bampton and, because it is low-lying is prone to flooding. In the 12th cent. Robert D'Oyly gave Clanfield land to the Grand Hospitaller to build a preceptory (HQ) with a moat. Although this has disappeared, there is now a 17th cent. house on the site (Friars Court) where civil weddings are held. Clanfield has two pubs: The 'Clanfield Tavern' and 'The Plough'.
Combe
Combe has a population of about 800 and is adjacent to the Blenheim Palace estate where the palace sawmills, waterwheel and beam engine can still be seen working. The church of St. Laurence has some 15th cent. wall paintings (including a 'last judgement'). There is one pub called 'The Cock Inn'. On the village green, there are Maypole celebrations, a Summer ball, Autumn fun-fair and Guy Fawke's night each year.
Cornbury and Wychwood (Parish Meeting)
The parish meeting of Cornbury and Wychwood is famous for the annual Cornbury rock festival. Confusingly, the original Cornbury organisers have moved their event to Great Tew and Lord and Lady Rotherwick (who own Cornbury Park) are hosting an alternate 'Wilderness Festival', which runs on the same dates (1-3 July). The parish also includes what is left of the Wychwood forest and a series of reservoirs [image-right].
Cornwell (Parish Meeting)
The parish meeting of Cornwell is a small estate village with a population of about 70 and is 3 miles from Chipping Norton. The estate and village are owned by the Hon. Peter Ward and his family who live in the adjacent Cornwell Manor which was mentioned in the Domesday Book. The parish church of St. Peter has a chancel of Norman origin. It is a private village with no public access, yet has a public post box?
Crawley
Crawley sits on the Windrush river near Witney and has a population of about 180. It has two pubs: a gastro-pub called 'The Lamb' and 'The Crawley Inn' for live entertainment and bikers. The parish has 5 ancient barrows. Crawley industrial estate is on the site of Crawley mill, which used to use water and steam power for the blanket making industry. The 18th cent. Chapel of St. Peter has now been converted into a private house.
Curbridge and Lew
Curbridge's parish church of St. John The Baptist (c.1906 and pictured right) replaces a previous chapel. There is a pub called 'The Lord Kitchener'. Caswell was a deserted medieval site with some of it within the parish. From the 13th to 16th c. there was a deer-park to the south. Thomas Beecham (b1982 of flu remedy fame) was born in Curbridge. Lew is built about a barrow. Parish pop. is about 500.
Ducklington
Ducklington is one of the first Saxon parishes to be recorded in Oxfordshire. In 958ad King Edgar the Peaceable granted a charter at Ducklington to his Minister, Eanulf. Morris dancers, bell ringers and once a year the famous Fritillary Sunday festival. The parish has around 1500 residents, two pubs, an historic centre which is a designated conservation area, a thriving primary school and sports club.
Enstone
Enstone is the largest parish in Oxfordshire with a population of about 1200 & includes Church Enstone and Neat Enstone. Enstone is named after a nearby standing stone (also known as the 'Hoar Stone'). St. Kenelm church is Norman, but lies on a much older Saxon site and a 14th century barn dating back to Benedictine monks is 80 yards away. Enstone is the home of Renault F1 Racing. Two pubs: "The Crown" and "The Harrow".
Eynsham
Eynsham has gravel pits where mammoth remains have been found. The traces of a 4000 yr. old causeway also discovered. The abbey was founded in 1005 but since the dissolution, the only remnants are the fishponds. There is a canal from the Thames to a wharf at the Talbot Inn, near the toll-bridge at Swinford; an ancient Thames livestock (later a ferry) crossing. There is an annual July carnival and Eynsham Morris Men.
Fawler (Parish Meeting)
Fawler's manor house was built in 1660. Air-photos reveal an enclosure with no trace of masonry buildings suggesting remains of a Roman Villa at Oatlands Farm. Fawler has a pop. of about 95 and the bridge over the River Evenlode was a recorded crossing as early as 1298. Fawler also had a mill whose Methodist proprietor co-organised the first 'Forest Fair' in 1796 to escape the rowdiness of the 'Witney Feast'.
Fifield (Parish Meeting)
Fifield was mentioned in the Domesday book in 1086 as belonging to a Henry de Ferrers. The British impressionist painter Algernon Talmage was born in Fifield in 1871. He was a tutor of the Canadian painter Emily Carr and Australian artist William Ashton. C.S. Lewis's gardener Fred Paxford was born in Fifield 1898 and portrayed in the movie 'Shadowlands'. The parish church of St. John the Baptist is 13th cent.
Filkins and Broughton Poggs
Filkins and Broughton Poggs each have a parish church of St. Peter. They are about 3 miles s.w. of Carterton. Filkins has a Pub -'The Five Alls', The Swinford Museum and a Woollen Mill. Filkins has an outdoor swimming pool which is open over Summer. There is also a WI, Post Office, Gardening, Art and Theatre Clubs as well as Morris Dancing. Forty houses were damaged in the floods of July 2007 in the parish.
Finstock
Finstock has a population of about 800 and is only a couple of miles south of Charlbury. It was known for glove-making in the early 20th century. Finstock has two pubs: 'The Crown' and 'The Plough Inn' as well as a WI. There is an annual festival in early August and the CoE parish church of The Holy Trinity. T.S. Elliot is one famed to have visited and been baptised there. Roman coins have been found in the parish.
Freeland
Freeland has a pop. of about 1600. Named after 'Frithland' or 16th c. free grazing land. Michael Lewis (naval historian and author) was born in Freeland in 1890. Freeland House, now a nursing home was built in 1807. The 1738 House Roslyn was reputed to have been a 19th century pugilists meeting place (the 'Wrostling House'). The pub dates from 1842. Freeland is also home to the church of St. Mary & a Wesleyan chapel.
Fulbrook
Fulbrook dates from 1086 (Domeday) and the name is said to mean 'foul-brook. The village is separated from Burford by the river Windrush, has a populaton of about 500 and the parish church of St. James is originally Norman. There are two pubs: 'The Masons Arms' and 'The Carpenters Arms'. Nearby are the remains of a gibbet tree, where two Fulbrook highwaymen were executed and displayed; a Fulbrook version of ASBO.
Glympton (Parish Meeting)
Glympton village is part of Glympton Park - a medieval deer park belonging to Glympton House, itself rebuilt on the site of an old manor house. Glympton Park is owned by Prince Bandar of Saudi Arabia. Grim's Ditch is an ancient earthworks in the southern part of the parish, dug in the 1st century. English Civil War coins have been found when four almeshouses were being built in 1949. Norman parish church is St. Mary.
Grafton and Radcot (Parish Meeting)
Grafton and Radcot are two hamlets that form a parish about four miles north of Faringdon. Radcot is the site of three ancient Thames crossings and a civil war earthworks called Matilda's Castle. Radcot Bridge is known as the oldest bridge on the Thames and dates back to 1200 (damaged and repaired in 1387). There are actually three bridge crossings. The Swan Hoteis the only pub in the parish and sits by the bridges.
Great Tew
Great Tew has a pop. of 185 and one pub: 'The Falkland Arms'. Remains of a Bronze-age barrow and a late Roman villa have been found nearby. The manor dates back to AD990 and is now the Great Tew Estate. There were two watermills in the 13th century and a sawmill and beam engine operated around 1850 and the enginehouse and chimney still survive. Most of the village is 17th c. St. Michael parish church is Norman
Hailey
Hailey has a pop. of about 1250 and, since 1898, Hailey's 'West End' has been a part of Witney parish (although it is actually the 'east end' of Witney). St. John The Evangelist parish church is 18th c. The village has two pubs: 'The Lamb and Flag' and 'The Bird in Hand'. Witney RFC's ground is actually located in Hailey. There has been a manor house in Hailey since the 1400s. A 1908 Methodist chapel is now a private house.
Hanborough
Hanborough consists of Long Hanborough (5 pubs, Oxford Bus Museum) and Church Hanborough (1 pub: Hand and Shears) and combined pop. of about 2,700. Each village has a parish church and are served by Hanborough railway station. Nothing remains of the original manor house, but the parish was mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book. 'Walter the Vintner' had an alehouse in Hanborough mentioned in 1279.
Hardwick with Yelford (Parish Meeting)
Hardwick with Yelford is one of the smallest parishes in West Oxon and was formed in 1932. Both sites had manor houses and were mentioned in the Domesday book and a manor house still exists at Yelford. Yelford Manor was owned by the Hastings family in the 1300s and was a fine timber building with a moat. It is now a private house. The church of St. Nicholas and St. Swithun dates to 1221 being rebuilt in the early 16th c.
Heythrop (Parish Meeting)
Heythrop (including the hamlet of Dunthrop) has a population of just over 100. The House in Heythrop Park was built in the early 18th c. and is now an hotel/ leisure resort. There is the parish church of St. Nicholas built in 1880. A chapel is all that remains of the previous church of St. Nicholas which was Norman. Nearby Heythrop Zoo. Gardens supplies exotic animals for TV and Film companies, but is not open to the public.
Holwell
During the time that Robert de Chesney was Bishop of Lincoln (1148-66), land at Holwell was given to the Cistercian Abbey at Bruern. The Church of England parish church of Saint Mar was built in the 1200s. It was rebuilt in 1842 and again in 1895.The latter rebuilding (pictured) was designed by the architect Walter Mills of Banbury, using a Gothic Revival interpretation of Perpendicular Gothic. The village has a population of about 20.
Idbury (Parish Meeting)
Idbury has a population of about 120 and one parish church: St. Nicholas (originally Norman). The civil engineer Sir Benjamin Baker (Forth Bridge, Aswan Dam) is buried here and J. W. Robertson Scott, the founder of 'The Countryman' lived in Idbury Manor from 1922. The Manor later became a finishing school for girls. There is an iron age hill fort 1/2km from the village. The Idbury Arts Festival was a regular event until 2006.
Kelmscott (Parish Meeting)
Kelmscott has a pop. of 120 and is about 2 miles from Lechlade and Faringdon. Kelmscott Manor (built 1570 and open to the public) is famous as the home of arts and crafts mogul William Morris from 1871 until his death in 1896. The church-yard of St. George is where Morris is buried. there are suggestions that Kelmscott has been a settlement from iron-age through Roman times. It has one pub called 'The Plough'.
Kencot (Parish Meeting)
Kencot has a pop. of about 140 and dates back to the Domesday book. After the Middle ages, upwardly mobile yeoman farmers (The Turners) were largely responsible for shaping Kencot socially. Kencot house was built in the 1700s. The church of St. George is Norman. RAF Broadwell was built in Kencot parish and was used in WWll by RAF Transport Com'd. Red Rose Close was built in 1651 according to date stone.
Kiddington with Asterleigh (Parish Meeting)
Kiddington has a pop. of 110 and recorded in the Domesday book. Kiddington Hall was built in 1673, and in the 18th century "Capability" Brown laid out the gardens. In 1850 the house (now owned by Jemima Khan) was rebuilt and no external trace of the original building remains, with an added stable block and remodelled gardens. The church of St. Nicholas was originally Norman. Asterleigh is a deserted medieval village.
Kingham
Kingham with a pop. of about 1000 and a parish church (right) of St. Andrew built from the 1400s Kingham railway station still serves the parish. Voted in 'County Life' as 'England's Favourite Village' in 2006. There are two pubs, 'The Plough' and 'The Tollgate'. Alex James, the 'Blur' bassist lives on a sheep & dairy farm nearby & shares farm Life in the Independent. There is a British Legion Club, Shop & Post Office.
Leafield
Leafield has a population of about 950. It has a Saxon barrow (Barry's Tump) and the church of St. Michael and All Angels is mid-19th c. The parish used to be in what was the Wychwood Forest and the Wychwood Way passes through the parish. Of the two pubs, the Fox is closed presently and the Spindlebury has become a Chinese. Nearby Langley was the home of the Arrows and Super Aguri F1 Racing teams.
Little Faringdon (Parish Meeting)
Little Faringdon has pop. of about 70 and dates back to the late 800 or 900s a.d. when it belonged to the (Great) Faringdon Estate. The Manor has been owned by the Ponsonby family since 1860. The parish Church of St. Margarets was built in the 1100s and enlarged in 1200, and later added to in the 14th and early 16th c. The church bacame the parish church when the separate parish was created in 1864.
Little Tew (Parish Meeting)
Little Tew with a population of 170 is about 5 miles east of Chipping Norton. Odo, the Bishop of Bayeux held the manor of Little Tew. There was a windmill in South Field in the 1200s to 1600s. The oldest house in Little Tew is an outside shell from the 1300s now internally converted to two cottages but the original screen passage remains. The Chapel of St. John the Evangelist completed in the mid 19th c.
Lyneham (Parish Meeting)
Lyneham with a pop. of about 195 is 5 m. SW of Chipping Norton. There are two sites at Lyneham: a camp and long barrow. Lyneham camp is an iron age hill-fort where skeletons were discovered in the 1800s. It is known locally as 'Lyneham Roundabout'. The long barrow has a standing stone and was excavated in 1984 and had two chambers. Saxon graves , pottery and a sword have also been found.
Milton Under Wychwood
Milton Under Wychwood is 4 miles N. of Burford and has a population of about 1700. It is one of three villages named after the Wychwood forest in which they stood. The parish church of St. Simon & St. Jude dates from 1853 (built by the prolific architect GE Street). Housing projects in the 1960's and 70's make it the largest of the 'under Wychwoods'. The 'Quart Pot' pub is now closed. Closest railway station is Shipton.
Minster Lovell
Minster Lovell (pop. ~1500) comprises 3 parts: Old, Little and New. Old Minster. Minster Lovell Hall and Dovecot are large 15th century ruins. The present church of St. Kenelm dates also from that time, although an older (12th c.) saxon 'minster' is thought to have occupied the site. There are 3 pubs: 'The New Inn', 'The White Hart' & 'Old Swan'. Charterville allotments (mid-19th c.) were on the site of New Minster.
North Leigh
North Leigh has a pop. of ~2000 and lies 3 miles east of Witney. It is famous for its Roman Villa, but has two Roman Villas in its vicinity. Eynsham Hall is also within the parish and has an iron age hill fort in the grounds. The church of St. Mary is saxon from the 11th c. The windmill (right) was restored, but had it's cap removed (now replaced) in WWll in order to use it as an observation post. It has no sails.
Northmoor
Northmoor with a pop. of ~395 sits between the rivers Thames and Windrush. Of old, the parish contained the hamlet of Moreton. The church of St. Denys is built on an earlier site and the font is Norman. Rectory Farm with a dovecot and granary dates from the 1500s. There are locks on the Thames near the village and many footpaths and cycleways. The 'Red Lion' is the parish's last remaining pub. and a village hall.
Over Norton
Over Norton is a hamlet and a parish 3/4 of a mile north of Chipping Norton and has a population of about 350. It has a poor's allotment of 50 acres. Over Norton House and Park is one of the chief residences having been owned by the Dawkins Family since the early 18th century (descendent is Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist). The village has a memorial pump with three limestone columns (c.1864).
Over Worton
Over Worton has signs of the Roman occupation just outside the north-west corner of Worton Wood. In the village itself, a few yards north-west of the church, is an unexcavated mound usually thought to be a round barrow; a suggestion that it might have been the motte of a very small castle, with perhaps the church standing in the bailey. The Anglo-Saxon word Worton means 'standing on a slope'.
Ramsden
Ramsden has a population of 340 and lies 2.5 miles S.E. of Chipping Norton. The ancient Ackerman road ()The roman highway connecting London with Cirencester) cuts right through the village and it is now part of the Wychwood Way. The parish church of St. James was built in 1872. The village has one public house - 'The Royal Oak' and the village (Memorial) Hall for local events and a charitable (garden) wood.
Rollright
Rollright parish consists of Great and Little Rollright villages. Gt. & Little Rollright have the churches of St. Andrew & St. Philip (12th and 13th cent.) respectively. The parish is most famous for its megalithic monuments consisting of 3 sub-sites: The King's Men, The King's Stone and the Whispering Knights. The site is thought to be over 4,000 years old. Gt. Rollright has a village hall. There is no railway station.
Rousham (Parish Meeting)
Rousham (pop. 50) is most famous for its Jacobean House and, particularly, the gardens. The house has been held by the Dormer family since it was built in 1635. The gardens were laid out by Charles Bridgeman in the 1730s, but famously redesigned by William Kent a few years later. The church of St. Germanus of Auxere dates from 1328. Two 11th cent. watermills on the Cherwell no longer exist.
Salford
Salford with a population of ~386 lies a couple of miles west of Chipping Norton. The Church of England Parish Church of St. Mary dates back to Norman times, but was rebuilt by GE Street, the prolific gothic revival architect, in the mid-nineteenth century. Salford Village has one public house: 'The Black Horse'. The village hall hosts a regular quiz night, cirlce dancing and 'fit mamas'.
Sandford St. Martin
Sandford St. Martin with a pop. of ~220 is comprised of 2 villages: Sandford St. Martin and Ledwell. A third settlement at the Grove Ash end of the parish has disappeared. Sandford St. Martin was known as Sandford until about 1884, when the suffix St. Martin was added to stop confusion with similar named villages. The village is centered on a former ford on Tyte brook, a tributary of the River Dorn.
Shilton
Shilton village has a pop. of about 580 & lies about 2 miles N.W. of Carterton. The parish was part of Faringdon Manor and it is thought that a Cistercian tithe barn existed possibly up until the 19th century. The parish church of the Holy Rood dates from the late Norman/ early English period. Shilton has a public house: 'The Rose and Crown'.
Shipton Under Wychwood
Shipton Under Wychwood (pop. of ~1400) lies about 4 miles N. of Burford. The Church of St. Mary dates from the 13th cent. and has a 15th cent. stone pulpit. The Village has 3 historic pubs: Shaven Crown, Red Horse & Lamb Inn. The 15th cent. Shaven Crown Hotel was once a guest house run by the monks of Bruern Abbey, and claims to have had a licence since 1384. Wychwood Wild Garden is open to the public
South Leigh
South Leigh has apop. of ~370 and dates back to 1190. The church of St. James the Great has had a chapel on the site since Norman times but South Leigh has been its own parish (with Cogges) only since 1869. John Wesley preached at South Leigh on 1771. The manor house was built in the second half of the 16th century (now Church Farm House) & Dylan Thomas is said to have stayed there. The pub (right) is the Masons Arms.
Spelsbury
Spelsbury Parish consists of Spelsbury, Taston, Dean & Ditchley and has a population of ~370. The parish church of All Saints is originally Norman. Actor Ben Kingsley has chosen Spelsbury as his home. Ditchley Park was owned by the Wills tobacco magnate and scenes from 'Young Victoria' were filmed there. The poet John Wilmot lived and is buried in Spelsbury. There are almshouses built in 1688 & a fountain.
Standlake
Standlake parish (pop ~1420) includes Standlake & Brighthampton by the river Windrush & Medley Brook. The Windrush joins the Thames nearby at Newbridge. Stock car/banger racing is held at Standlake Arena. Gaunt House (a moated manor house), was built in the 1400s & records show 3 water mills (Church Mill remains). St. Giles Church dates from the 1100s. There are 2 pubs 'The Black Horse' & 'The Bell'.
Stanton Harcourt
Stanton Harcourt (pop. of ~1000 & 6 miles west of Oxford). The village was named after neolithic standing stones (a.k.a. the Devil's Quoits) and is mentioned in the Domesday book. St. Michael's has existed since 1135 & successive members of the Harcourt family are buried there, including Edward Harcourt,  Archishop of York (1847). There are some fine stocks in the village. The pub is 'The Harcourt Arms'.
Steeple Barton
Steeple Barton lies between Oxford and Banbury. Of the 3 Bartons in this parish, Middle Barton is the largest, the other two being Steeple and Sesswells Barton. In 1086 there were 3 mills in Steeple Barton on the River Dorn. The Church of St. Mary was built in the 1200s although possibly on the site of an earlier Saxon church.
Stonesfield
Stonesfield is mentioned in the Domesday book and has a pop. of ~1600. It lies above the River Evenlode on a Cotswold escarpment. There was a Roman road at the edge of the village but this has since disappeared. Megalosaurus bones have been discovered nearby. Writer of the Harry Potter Score, Nick Hooper lives in Stonesfield and Basil Eastwood, ex-Ambassador to Syria and Switzerland also lives here.
Swerford
Swerford (pop. ~200) lies on the River Swere, is 5 miles from Chipping Norton & consists of two areas: Church End & East End. Noted in the Domesday Book the village also has a motte and bailey castle. Swerford House dates from 1783. The Masons Arms pub is now a restaurant. The Church of St. Mary is 13th cent. Swerford Park Railway Tunnel is now bricked up to prevent access and protect the bat population.
Swinbrook and Widford
Swinbrook and Widford with a population of about 200 and is 3 miles East of Burford. The parish church of St. Mary dates from about 1200. Swinbrook house (outside the village) was built by David Freeman-Mitford, the father of the Mitford sisters, four of whom are buried in Swinbrook. The quaint pub by the river is 'The Swan Inn' (same licensees as 'The Kings Head' at Bledington).
Tackley
Tackley sits on the river Cherwell and lies 5 miles north of Kidlington. The manor house was built in 1657, but only a thatched barn and two dovecots remain. The church of St. Nicholas dates from the 11th century. Neither of two water mills survive. The village shop and hall are run by, and for, the community. An RAF Harrier crashed near Tackley in 2006. A Women's Instituts HQ is at Court Farm Barns.
Taynton (Parish Meeting)
Taynton is located 2 miles N. of Burford on Coombe Brook (a tributary of the River Windrush) and has a pop. of about 120. Edward the Confessor declared Tayton a manor in 1059, but the present manor house was built in the 1600s. The church of St. John the Evangelist dates from 1360. Records suggest that Taynton had two water mills in the 11th century. Cotswold stone has been quarried in the parish.
Westcot Barton (Parish Meeting)
Westcot Barton has
Westwell (Parish Meeting)
Westwell has a population of about 75 and lies 2 miles south-west of Burford. The parish church of St. Mary is Norman. The manor house dates from 1545 and a nearby dovecote from the 1600s. The war memorial (pictured right) contains a numeral from the clock face of the cloth hall, Ypres and commemorates those fallen in WWl in 1914 and 1917 from the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.
Wootton
Wootton has a population of about 580 and is sometimes known as 'Wootten-by-Woodstock' to distinguish it from the Vale of the White Horse Wooton. The parish lies on the River Glyme about 2 miles North of Woodstock. The parish Church of St. Mary dates fom about 1250. Wootton village has one public house, the Killingworth Castle Inn and also a village store.