Abingdon

Chimney Meadows Nature Reserve

Chimney Meadows lies along the banks of the River Thames, near Bampton in west Oxfordshire. The site totals 250 hectares of floodplain flower rich meadows, wet woodland, 16km of hedgerows and interlaced with 18km of waterways.

Butterflies found at the site include gatekeepers, meadow browns, ringlets and common blues. The best times to visit the site are between May and July, for meadow flowers; and December and February, for wintering birds. Please note that access to the site is restricted to public rights of way, access to other parts of the reserve are by permit only.

Millets Farm Centre

Millets is pretty much just a garden centre with a large shop and restaurant bolted on. However, it does have a well appointed adventure playground and farm animal walk with pygmy goats, alpacas, pigs, sheep and a couple of charming ponies.

Millets Farm
Garford, Abingdon
Oxfordshire OX13 5HB

Telephone: 01865 391 555
Website: www.milletsfarmcentre.com

Champs Chapel Museum

Champs Chapel, built in 1453 for Carthusian monks, contains a selection of East Hendred Heritage Trust’s collection of village artefacts, pictures, documents, books and photographs most of which can be viewed on computer if not on display. Separately housed is the 19th century village fire engine. Exhibits in the museum trace more than a 1000 years of the history of East Hendred, a history which is closely interweaved with that of Oxfordshire, Berkshire and England.

Dorchester Abbey Museum

Dorchester Abbey Museum is a local museum in Dorchester (The Oxfordshire Dorchester, not the County Town of Dorset!) and is attached to Dorchester Abbey. The museum occupies two buildings on the site of Dorchester Abbey. The Old Schoolroom, part of the former 14th-century guest house of the abbey, has displays of artefacts, illustrations and maps concerning the history of Dorchester and its surroundings. The area has been inhabited for over 6,000 years. It also houses a historical archive. The Cloister Gallery is a new gallery on the northern wall of the Abbey, built in 2001.

Venn Mill, Garford

A rural watermill powered by the Childrey Brook. With its waterwheel and wooden machinery it is at work, grinding corn using millstones. The mill is on an ancient site and was rebuilt in its present form about 1800. It has been restored carefully to retain its character and atmosphere. The surroundings are being managed as a wildlife sanctuary. Flour from locally-grown wheat is on sale also a range of organic flours and cereal products.

It is the only working watermill in the Vale of the White Horse open only on Sundays from April to October.

Pendon Museum of Miniature Landscape & Transport

Pendon Museum's goal is to preserve a rather nostalgic rural railway network and transport of the 1920s and 30s in a miniature form for future generations to enjoy. The Museum was founded in 1954. There is much to see, from the pioneering Madder Valley railway, through Pendon’s first complete model – the Dartmoor Scene – to the Vale Scene that is fulfilling the original dream.

The Museum is a Charitable Trust, run almost entirely by volunteers and supported by its Friends and visitors.

Milton Manor House

An elegant 18th century house built by Inigo Jones for Bryant Barrett, lacemaker to King George III. Of special interest is the interior chapel and library. The house is set in a splendid garden location with two lakes and enjoyable woodland walks

Kingston Bagpuize House

Kingston Bagpuize House is thought to have been built originally in the 1660s, the house seen today is largely the result of remodelling done in the early 1700s when extensive work is believed to have been done to both its exterior and interior. Set in parkland with more formal gardens near the house the grounds provide year round interest and colour. The main façade is East facing and until the 1860s the house was approached and entered from this side. Since then the West facing door has been used as the main entrance and this is where guided tours of the house begin.

MG Abingdon Works Centre

The Club Head Office, Kimber House in Cemetery Road, Abingdon, is sited on the edge of what was once the MG Car Company's headquarters and factory - where Cecil Kimber (Managing Director from 1935-1945) and John Thornley (General Manager and subsequently Managing Director) successfully ran one of the world's most well-known and well-respected car manufacturing companies. The route to the office is signposted from the direction of the A34 with brown heritage signposts.