Transport

Cholsey and Wallingford Railway

The Cholsey and Wallingford Railway is a 2.5-mile (4 km) long standard gauge heritage railway. It operates along most of the length of the former Wallingford branch of the Great Western Railway (GWR), from Cholsey station, 12 miles (19 km) north of Reading on the Great Western Main Line, to a station on the outskirts of Wallingford.

Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway

The railway opens for passenger services in March until Hallowe’en with Santa Specials operating in December. The line currently runs over a 3 ½ mile stretch along the foot of the Chiltern Hills running parallel to the Icknield Way, passing through attractive countryside with some outstanding views across the Vale of Whiteleaf. The aim is to re-open as much of the branch as possible. There is a replica of the original station at Chinnor and the association is working to extend the line into Princes Risborough with connection to the Network Rail station.

Oxford Canal at Thrupp

The Oxford Canal Walk links Oxford to Coventry, passing through the quiet rural landscape of the south Midlands. It passes beside 43 locks, numerous wooden life bridges and cast iron bridges and through one tunnel, yet crosses only one road.

There are few hills to speak of - the canal summit is only 400 feet above the start on the Thames. The towpath is continuous throughout its length. The path is in good condition all the way along, and the route is waymarked throughout with 'Oxford Canal Walk' signs.

Radcot Bridge

Radcot Bridge is often claimed as the "oldest bridge on the Thames", having been built around 1200. The Cistercian monks of St Mary at Cîteaux in Normandy were granted land for the purpose by King John. Much of the structure was broken down during the famous battle which took place here in 1387, although it was apparently reconstructed six years later. The bridge was again severely damaged during the Wars of the Roses, and was largely rebuilt as we see it today with a flattened centre arch.

The Thames Path crosses the bridges.

Didcot Railway Centre

The Didcot Railway Centre contains a collection of Great Western Railway steam engines, coaches, wagons, buildings and small relics; and a recreation of Brunel's broad gauge railway. It is located in a rural setting based around the original 1930s engine shed. The Great Western Society was offered the use of the site and took it over in 1967. The society has a comprehensive collection of Great Western Railway (GWR) locomotives and rolling stock.

Heritage Motor Centre

The Heritage Motor Centre is a British motor museum and research centre, located at Gaydon in Warwickshire. The centre houses a collection of important vehicles, celebrating Britain's motoring heritage. It is affiliated to the British Motorcycle Charitable Trust.

With 200 classic vehicles on display in the Centre's museum, the collection charts the history of the British car industry from the turn of the century to the present day.

Pendon Museum of Miniature Landscape & Transport

Pendon Museum's goal is to preserve a rather nostalgic rural railway network and transport of the 1920s and 30s in a miniature form for future generations to enjoy. The Museum was founded in 1954. There is much to see, from the pioneering Madder Valley railway, through Pendon’s first complete model – the Dartmoor Scene – to the Vale Scene that is fulfilling the original dream.

The Museum is a Charitable Trust, run almost entirely by volunteers and supported by its Friends and visitors.

MG Abingdon Works Centre

The Club Head Office, Kimber House in Cemetery Road, Abingdon, is sited on the edge of what was once the MG Car Company's headquarters and factory - where Cecil Kimber (Managing Director from 1935-1945) and John Thornley (General Manager and subsequently Managing Director) successfully ran one of the world's most well-known and well-respected car manufacturing companies. The route to the office is signposted from the direction of the A34 with brown heritage signposts.

Bourton Model Railway

Housed in a period farmhouse, established over 25 years a spectacular Model Railway Exhibition and traditional Toyshop situated right in the centre of the picturesque Cotswold village of Bourton-on-the-Water. This well stocked model and toyshop boasts a comprehensive Model Railway Section specialising in British and Continental OO/HO and N Gauge, with a full selection of scenic accessories available.

Caen Hill Locks, Devizes

Caen Hill Locks are a flight of locks on the Kennet and Avon Canal, between Rowde and Devizes in Wiltshire England. The 29 locks have a rise of 237 feet in 2 miles (72 m in 3.2 km) or a 1 in 44 gradient.

The locks come in three groups. The lower seven locks, Foxhangers Wharf Lock to Foxhangers Bridge Lock, are spread over 1.2 km. The next sixteen locks form a steep flight in a straight line up the hillside.

Wellington Aviation Museum

The Wellington Aviation and Art Museum is a tribute to airmen of World War II who came through Moreton's flight training station. Memorabilia including paintings, prints, models and aircraft history are all on display, with the proceeds going to the RAF Benevolent Fund. The museum records the history of RAF Moreton-in-Marsh; a flight training station for RAF Bomber Command during the Second World War and over recent years has become the Gloucestershire Fire Brigades training headquarters.

National Waterways Museum

The original National Waterways Museum at Gloucester is housed in a Victorian warehouse at Gloucester Docks, in the city of Gloucester. It has a collection of boats including narrowboats, river barges, canal and river tugs.

There is also a steam crane and heavy oil engine in the setting of a canal repair yard, complete with working machine shop, forge and weighbridge. The museum uses modern interactive techniques and hands on exhibits.

Cotswold Motoring Museum

The Cotswold Motoring Museum is located in Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire, England, and features motoring history of the 20th century The museum's collection includes cars, motorcycles, bicycles, caravans and motoring memorabilia of the twentieth century. The collection also includes the famous children's television star Brum, when he is not in use. The museum was founded in 1978 by car collector Mike Cavanagh. In 1999 it was sold to the Civil Service Motoring Association, a not-for-profit organisation, who continue to run it today.

Bristol Aero Collection

The Bristol Aero Collection is a museum dedicated to the preservation and display of artefacts of the Bristol Aeroplane Company and its sister companies. On display are aircraft, engines, missiles, spacecraft, road transport and many more items designed and built in Bristol in the last century.

Bristol Aero Collection
Concorde at Filton PO Box 77
Filton, Bristol BS99 7AR

The post code for sat-nav purposes is GL7 6BA

Oxford Bus Museum

The Oxford Bus Museum has its origins in the Oxford Bus Preservation Syndicate, established in 1967 by a group of passionate enthusiasts who had the foresight to realise that vehicles of potential significance to future generations should be saved before they disappeared forever. Starting with just one vehicle – which can still be seen and operated – the collection has grown until the current premises occupied.

Telephone: 01993 883617 (Museum opening hours only)