In 1963 Philip Bate generously gave to the University of Oxford his extensive and systematic collection of European orchestral woodwind instruments. Since then he has continued to augment the Collection with gifts and loans, both of woodwind and brass. As a result of his original conditional of gift, that students should be able to play these historic instruments, the Bate Collection is unique in that many of its instruments are used. Philip Bate's friend and colleague Reginald Morley-Pegge both gave and also permitted instruments to be bought from his collection.
Bath's Roman Baths are below the modern street level and have four main features, the Sacred Spring, the Roman Temple, the Roman bath house and the Georgian Pump Room (which is on the ground level)
Oxford Town Hall is an impressive grade 2* Victorian building that continues to play a key role in the management, social and cultural life of residents and visitors but is also a versatile venue and home of the Museum of Oxford. Located in the centre of Oxford only a 10 minute walk from the train station, with many bus routes stopping right at the door, parking close by and many top quality hotels, this multi purpose venue is an ideal location to host your event or start your visit in Oxford.
Coriniium is the Roman name for Britain's second city - Cirencester: Home to one of the largest collections of Romano-British antiquities in the country
The Life Museum in Westgate Street takes a fascinating look at the social history, crafts, trades and industries of the City and County of Gloucester with everything from 16th century maces to 'groovy gadgets' of the 20th century! Set in Tudor timber-framed buildings, one of which was traditionally associated with the final night of the protestant martyr, Bishop Hooper, the Folk Museum is a complex of rooms mostly on three different levels and with a unique ambience that makes it a popular sight for locals and visitors.
Wotton-Under-Edge Heritage Centre houses the collection of the Wotton-under-Edge Historical Society as well as a wide range of resources for family and local history research. The collection provides a good example of artefacts from Wotton's crafts and industries along with photographs, postcards, documents, maps and books of local interest.
The SS Great Britain is an award-winning visitor attraction and museum ship in Bristol Harbour. Refurbished in the noughties it attracts up to 170,000 visitors annually.
Bletchley Park is the historic site of secret British codebreaking activities during WWII and birthplace of the modern computer.
There are over 500 cycles from 1818 to 1930 and much documentation and records in this large private collection
Vale & Downland is located in Wantage and is one of the most popular local history museums in the area and been described as a 'model community museum.
Wallingford Museum has an extensive collection of local artifacts relating to the history of Wallingford. Items cover archaeology, Wallingford Castle, and the town in mediaeval and Victorian times.
The River and Rowing Museum is in Henley and located at Mill Meadows by the Thames. It has three main themes in three galleries and a local Henley museum.
The museum has exhibits celebrating two of Uffington's more famous past residents, the author Thomas Hughes and the Poet Laureate, John Betjeman. Hughes was born in Uffington in 1822. The display describes Hughes' early life, his later interest in Christian Socialism, and his efforts to establish a colony in Rugby, Tennessee, where his ideas could be put into practice. Also explained are the connections between Hughes' famous book 'Tom Brown's Schooldays' and Uffington.
Cotswold Woollen Weavers manufacture a wide range of woollen cloths, garments, knitwear, rugs and accessories. The past comes alive as visitors are welcomed by the the clack of the loom-shuttles, and the evocative smell of wool oil. Museum and Shop.
Champs Chapel, built in 1453 for Carthusian monks, contains a selection of East Hendred Heritage Trust’s collection of village artefacts, pictures, documents, books and photographs most of which can be viewed on computer if not on display. Separately housed is the 19th century village fire engine. Exhibits in the museum trace more than a 1000 years of the history of East Hendred, a history which is closely interweaved with that of Oxfordshire, Berkshire and England.
The Didcot Railway Centre contains a collection of Great Western Railway steam engines, coaches, wagons, buildings and small relics; and a recreation of Brunel's broad gauge railway. It is located in a rural setting based around the original 1930s engine shed. The Great Western Society was offered the use of the site and took it over in 1967. The society has a comprehensive collection of Great Western Railway (GWR) locomotives and rolling stock.
The Oxford University Museum of Natural History, sometimes known simply as the Oxford University Museum, is a museum displaying many of the University of Oxford's natural history specimens, located on Parks Road in Oxford. It also contains a lecture theatre which is used by the University's chemistry, zoology and mathematics departments. The University Museum provides the only access into the adjoining Pitt Rivers Museum.
The Pitt Rivers Museum is a museum displaying the archaeological and anthropological collections of the University of Oxford. The museum is located to the east of the Oxford University Museum of Natural History, and can only be accessed through that building.
Churchill village with a population of approximately five hundred residents and is located in West Oxfordshire. There are a number of round barrows and other signs of early occupation nearby. Churchill Old Church was built in the 14th century on the site of earlier churches going back to Saxon times.
The Cotswold Countryside Collection is a rural life museum featuring agricultural implements, agricultural vehicles, blacksmithing, and many other aspects of rural life. Part of the original prison and courthouse have been preserved.
The Heritage Motor Centre is a British motor museum and research centre, located at Gaydon in Warwickshire. The centre houses a collection of important vehicles, celebrating Britain's motoring heritage. It is affiliated to the British Motorcycle Charitable Trust.
With 200 classic vehicles on display in the Centre's museum, the collection charts the history of the British car industry from the turn of the century to the present day.
Bloxham Museum showing local history and illustrating village life. There are no steps involved when entering the Museum or indeed inside. The new cases are very easy to see either on foot or from a wheel chair. There is an adjacent carpark and a tarmac surface from there to the Museum. Labels are in fairly large print to assist easy reading.
Swalcliffe tithe barn was built in 1401-1407. It is considered one of the best examples of a mediaeval tithe barn in England and has an almost completely intact medieval timber half-cruck roof. The barn is open free of charge on Sundays from Easter to October and houses part of the Oxfordshire Museum's collection of traditional agricultural and trade vehicles and an exhibition of 2,500 years of Swalcliffe history.
Dorchester Abbey Museum is a local museum in Dorchester (The Oxfordshire Dorchester, not the County Town of Dorset!) and is attached to Dorchester Abbey. The museum occupies two buildings on the site of Dorchester Abbey. The Old Schoolroom, part of the former 14th-century guest house of the abbey, has displays of artefacts, illustrations and maps concerning the history of Dorchester and its surroundings. The area has been inhabited for over 6,000 years. It also houses a historical archive. The Cloister Gallery is a new gallery on the northern wall of the Abbey, built in 2001.