Set in 500 acres of beautiful parkland, Leeds Castle is the perfect backdrop to your day out. The historic castle, glorious gardens, attractions and programme of events awaits visitors. Bring the whole family to Leeds Castle with your Key to the Castle ticket and journey through 900 years of captivating history. Open all year round, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Tickets to Leeds Castle are valid for one year from the date of purchase, so you can visit the castle and grounds as many times as you like.
Manor houses, halls and castles.
Bath's Roman Baths are below the modern street level and have four main features, the Sacred Spring, the Roman Temple, the Roman bath house and the Georgian Pump Room (which is on the ground level)
Hell Fire caves began when Sir Francis Dashwood established the famous Hell-fire Club which held regular meetings in the Caves
15th-century chapel, restored by Gilbert Scott in 1875, The oldest surviving building in Buckingham. Peruse the second hand books in atmospheric chapel restored by Gilbert Scott in 1875. A selection of hot drinks and snacks are available for you to enjoy in the bookshop.
Rousham House is a Jacobean country house at Rousham in West Oxfordshire on the River Cherwell.
The remains of a large, well-built Roman courtyard villa. The most important feature is a nearly complete mosaic tile floor, patterned in reds and browns.
Longleat House is widely regarded as one of the best examples of high Elizabethan architecture in Britain and one of the most beautiful stately homes open to the public.
The Abbey, located at the heart of the village within its own woodland grounds, is a country house of various architectural styles, built upon the foundations of a former nunnery. Visitors can experience the atmosphere of the medieval rooms and cloister court, giving a sense of the Abbey's monastic past. The Abbey, dedicated to St Mary and St Bernard, was founded in 1229 by the widowed Lady Ela the Countess of Salisbury, who laid the abbey's first stone 16 April 1232, in the reign of King Henry III, and to which she retired in 1238.
The Fleece Inn was originally built in about 1400 as a longhouse by a prosperous yeoman farmer called Byrd. A longhouse is an early type of farmhouse which incorporated accommodation for livestock on the ground floor, alongside the family's living quarters. The Inn was first licensed in 1848, but remained in the Byrd family until 1977 when Lola Taplin bequeathed it to the National Trust.
Fully restored to its former glory, with witches circles and precious pewter collection, it has developed a reputation for traditional folk music, morris dancing and asparagus.
One of the largest and finest 13th-century tithe barns in the country, lying in the Worcestershire countryside.
If you're visiting Middle Littleton tithe barn make the most of your day by visiting nearby Croome Park, Lance 'Capability' Brown's first complete landscape garden or Hidcote Manor Garden, a celebrated 20th-century garden in the north Cotswolds.
Ashleworth Tithe Barn. together with the 15th century Ashleworth Court and the ancient church of St Andrew, have existed in this attractive setting for about 600 years.
The existing medieval Bredon Barn structure was almost destroyed by fire in 1980 when a cigarette accidentally ignited a hay bale. But it has since been restored with the aid of the National Trust (which owns the building).
The barn is 14th-century and made from local Cotswold stone. Dramatic aisled interior and unusual stone chimney cowling are notable.
Note: no WC.
The King's Head Inn is notable as being one of the oldest public houses with a coaching yard in the south of England. It is located in the Market Square in Aylesbury. The oldest part of the current structure of the building is of 15th century design, however the cellars are much older, dating back to the 13th century, and may have been part of the local friary.
Long Crendon Courthouse is a 15th-century two-storeyed timber frame building located in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England, and now a National Trust property.
It is believed that the building was used as a wool store before serving to house manorial courts, which were held here from the reign of Henry V until the reign of Victoria.
This building is a fine example of early timber-frame construction. The ground floor (now tenanted) was the village poor house. Note: stairs are extremely steep. Village exhibition on display.
A rare survival of a 17th-century duck decoy in working order. One of only a few left in the country.
Boarstall Tower is a 14th-century moated gatehouse, built by John de Haudlo and once part of a fortified manor house, set in gardens. Note: property is tenanted
Claydon House is in the Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, close to the village of Middle Claydon. It is owned by the National Trust. There has been a manor house on the site of the present house since before the Norman Conquest of England. In the Domesday Book (a survey of England published in 1086) the house was listed as belonging to the Peverell family, who arrived from Normandy with William the Conqueror. Their tenants, the Gresleys, were managing it for them at the time.
Hughenden Manor is a red brick Victorian mansion, located in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. In the 19th century, it was the country house of the Prime Minister, Benjamin Disraeli.
Today, it is owned by the National Trust and fully open to the public. The house sits on the brow of the hill to the west of the main A4128 road that links Hughenden to High Wycombe, where it has fine views of the Chilterns countryside.
West Wycombe, the whole village is owned by National Trust who acquired it in 1929. The main A40, runs through it.
The Church of St Lawrence stands all alone on a 600 foot hill, on the site of a village no longer there. The village is famous for the Hell Fire Club.
It is an historic village with cottages and inns of architectural interest dating from 16th century. Views from West Wycombe Hill.
Note: church, mausoleum and caves are not National Trust.
Nearest WCs in village
West Wycombe Park, which is a Grade I listed building was given to the National Trust in 1943 by Sir John Dashwood, 10th Baronet (1896–1966), an action strongly resented by his heir. Dashwood retained ownership of the contents of the house, much of which he sold; after his death, the house was restored at the expense of his son, Sir Francis Dashwood.
The house encapsulates the entire progression of British 18th century architecture from early idiosyncratic Palladian to the Neoclassical, although it is architecturally unique.
Early 18th-century house with small walled garden, situated on the banks of the River Thames.
Admission by written appointment with the tenant. Please mark envelope 'National Trust booking'. Last admission 30 minutes before closing.
Woburn Abbey, comprising Woburn Park and its buildings, was originally founded as a Cistercian abbey in 1145. Taken from its monastic residents by Henry VIII and given to John Russell, 1st Earl of Bedford in 1547, it became the seat of the Russell Family and the Dukes of Bedford. The Abbey was largely rebuilt starting in 1741 by the architects Henry Flitcroft and Henry Holland for the 4th Duke. Anna Maria, the wife of the 7th Duke, originated the afternoon tea ritual in 19th-century England.
Winchester Cathedral is one of the largest Cathedrals in Britain and was originally founded in 642 on an immediately adjoining site to the north. This building became known as the Old Minster. It became part of a monastic settlement in 971. Saint Swithun was buried near the Old Minster and then in it, before being moved to the new Norman cathedral. The Old Minster was demolished in 1093.
Winchester Castle is a medieval building in Hampshire. It was founded in in 1067. Only the Great Hall exists now; it houses a museum of the history of Winchester.
Warwick Castle is always in the top three most impressive British castles. Within easy driving distance from West Oxfordshire, Warwick Castle is a medieval castle in Warwick. It sits on a bend on the River Avon.